Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fairy Houses

Today, Katie and I made our annual visit to check out the fairy houses in the woods at Latta Nature Preserve with our friends Catherine and Anya. As usual, the fairy houses were only part of the attraction of this beautiful landscape. The girls never fail to revel in nature, not wanting to leave, wanting to work on their fairy pool or castle just a little longer. I, too, find myself replenished after our journeys into nature. The feeling of calm and gratitude reminded me of one of my favorite poets, Mary Oliver, and her poem "Praying." Enjoy...

Praying

It doesn't have to be 
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment