Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sparkle Rainbow Unicorns vs.The Law of Inertia


"Goals are dreams with deadlines."
~ Diana Scharf Hunt

If it's wrong for a grown woman to have a sticker chart, I don't want to be right. I should mention, I haven't "technically" created a sticker chart. It's more of a colored pencil, rainbow, marker chart (if that helps clarify the issue) but I'm thinking of getting myself some sparkly unicorn stickers this weekend. I think they will help.

Why, you may ask, would a grown woman need a childish chart of any kind? Because I'm a slacker. That's why.

For anyone who's been spared the horror of listening to me complain about it, I'm trying to write a book. A good book. At least, I think it's a good book. But I won't really be able to judge that (or let anyone else make up their mind about it) until I finish the damn thing. I've been "about halfway" done for a year now. It's getting ridiculous and I can't take it anymore.

So I've resorted to my most primal motivation - meaningless rewards in the form of sparkly stickers. I think the last time I had a sticker chart was when I was potty training. I nailed that goal so I'm guessing the system is infallible.

Please realize, I'm only half-joking. On the one hand, I'm opposed to rewarding kids with stickers and other sparkly paraphernalia. It dampens their intrinsic motivation and treats them like little Pavlovian puppies. On the other hand, that's what makes the strategy crazy-brilliant. Anything that can get a roomful of kindergarteners to sit still for more than two minutes is powerful stuff!

So I'm going with the chart, even though I know there are more mature options out there like livifi, the Russian Doll Approach, and plain old hard work and will power. But they're not for me. 

Nope. Me? I'll stick with the unicorns.

With a few colorful rainbows thrown in for good measure.

 Namaste

 ( *v* )
 ( (    ) )
  "      "

How do you stay motivated in your creative work? How do you fight the pull of inertia and constantly create in spite of your "real life"?If you have any ideas, suggestions, or stickers...I'd love for you to shoot them my way. 

Oh, and check back with me on March 12th. On that day (if not before,) I'll be a novelist.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. So March 12th is your deadline? Does that mean I get to read it then???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost. March 12th is my first draft deadline. First-readers should have it in hand by the first of May. I want to start querying agents this summer.

    ReplyDelete