Saturday, December 31, 2011

Holding On To Nothing As Fast As I Can


 
"Still...pretty good year." 
~ Tori Amos

I think years are like places. They have an ambiance, a mood, dare I say, a purpose. For me, 2011 was like a long layover at Detroit Metro Airport. I know, I know. Try not to be too jealous.

But it's not so bad as all that (she mutters to herself). 2011 came on the heels of a whirlwind year - a year that was as much like jumping out of an airplane as any I've ever experienced. And I didn't crash to the earth - somehow I grew wings.

So it should come as no surprise that I finally landed at the airport. But it did come as a surprise. Whenever you've been flying for a while, gracefully winging on air currents, being lifted above it all so you can see new vistas, coming back down to earth is the last thing you want to do. The new Amanda with wings protested, "I want to stay up there." "Not until you refuel," said Reality. "It's a long journey."

And in retrospect, I'm grateful for the pause.

As much as this year has felt like a whole lot of waiting (at the gate), entertaining myself with hula hooping and movie making (the Rainbow Tunnel), and taking a deep breath to pause and reflect with yoga and meditation (the fountain)...some people never make it to the airport. Some people never decide to go anywhere or change direction or explore a new place. Some people never learn to fly.

Let alone need a layover.

Watch out 2012.

This is going to be quite an adventure.

3 comments:

  1. All of these posts are fab. I love the Jerry Springer comparison below.

    I love your bird/airplane/airport analogies as well. You are a lovely writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your posts as well...brilliant! :) Love & hugs

    ReplyDelete